In my last post, I showed off my latest two projects – the Nissan 300zx and the Chevy Impala. Although both cars are a long ways away from completion, I figured that it was a good time to give you a glimpse of how far long the cars currently are.
Let’s begin with the Impala. After locating a Johnny Lightning for a base to begin on eBay, I received the car about 10 days ago. There are many mods on the car that I am reproducing including a hood scoop, a rear spoiler, and a front splitter so I immediately got to work cutting out a section of the hood where the scoop is to be located. I then using styrene and Tamiya putty and began forming the mods.
Here are a couple of pictures of the actual car and the diecast.
As you can see that the modifications have been installed, formed and just need to be cleaned up. The only other thing that needed to be done was the wheels which were chrome needed to be painted black.
Once those things are done the car will be ready for paint. So as you can see although there is a lot left to do mostly in the way of paint, a lot has gotten done.
As for the Nissan, although it has a lot fewer modifications to reproduce, I do have some body work to do as the car was an 84 turbo and I am turning it into an 87 without a turbo.
I also decided that I would like to give the car T tops. Although T tops were outlined in the hard top, I decided that it would look much better if I broke out the Dremel and actually made T tops.
I then puttied around the lights since the 84 and 87 have a different taillight setup and removed the turbo using a file.
At his point, the car has been primed and painted and I am in the process of painting in the taillights. Once that is complete I plan to clearcoat the car.
Here are some pictures of the Nissan.